The length of time each case takes varies by the type of case, the facts of the case, and how the individual charged chooses to proceed. The length also varies between trial, appeal, and habeas cases. You should contact your attorney to discuss how long your case might last.

If you are detained pretrial, the US Marshals will house you based on where bedspace is available. Some of the detention facilities are quite a distance from Indianapolis. If your attorney needs have more frequent in person access to you, they may be able to request a change from the US Marshals, but like custody in the Bureau of Prisons, this is heavily dependent on if the marshals have the bedspace to move you. You should talk with your attorney about your concerns.

This is the burning question by our clients and their families from the second the federal case begins. But this question cannot be answered at the outset of your case. And there are many factors which might play into your sentence- a statutorily mandated minimum or maximum sentence, the effect of plea negotiations, your guideline range and any arguments to sentence you above or below that range, and your assigned judge. But early in your case, your attorney will be able to give you a good idea of what you’ll be facing.

If you’ve been charged in Marion County, you can visit the Marion County County Public Defender Agency’s Website here.

And for other counties, visit the Indiana Public Defender Council for more information.

Another good source is the judiciary’s website and the Indiana case finder, where you can find case specific information.

If you think you are the target of a federal investigation, you should contact a criminal defense attorney before you speak with law enforcement. You have the right to an attorney’s help and advice during any conversation with law enforcement. Your attorney should arrange all contact with law enforcement on your behalf and be present with you during the conversation. If you do not have an attorney yet, tell the law enforcement representatives that you wish to have an attorney present before speaking with them. If you cannot afford an attorney, contact the federal defender’s office and we will help you take the steps necessary to request a free attorney.

If you are charged with a federal criminal offense, or if you have received a letter stating you are the target of a grand jury investigation, you can apply to a federal magistrate judge for appointed counsel. If you cannot afford an attorney, you should contact our office and we will help you fill out a financial affidavit to determine your eligibility for appointment of counsel.

Our panel attorneys are experts at criminal defense and stand ready to assist on those cases that we cannot keep in our office. Visit our “About Us” section for information on how to contact your CJA panel attorney.

We are located at 111 Monument Circle, Suite 3200, Indianapolis, Indiana. Our phone number is 317-383-3520. We accept collect calls. If you call collect during business hours and your call is not accepted, it only means that your attorney is not in the office. We are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., but you can leave a message at any time. We cannot call you while you are in jail, but your attorney will visit you. Many of our pretrial detention centers offer video conferencing and your attorney may be able to meet with you by video. Your attorney may also come to visit with you at county jail. If you are out of custody, you will meet with us at our office. Please schedule an appointment so that we can get you on the list to come through security.

Because of the attorney-client privilege, the attorney is not allowed to discuss or share information about your loved one’s case with you unless the person charged authorizes the attorney to do so. It is important to remember, if your family member is being held in a jail pre-trial, that you should not talk to your family member about their case on the phone. Every family phone call is recorded and the statements made on the phones can be used in the pending criminal case against your family member.